Children must stay boostered until the adult seat belt fits. To judge if the adult belt fits, take the 5 step test.
- Does the child sit all the way back against the auto seat?
- Do the child's knees bend comfortably at the edge of the auto seat?
- Does the belt cross the shoulder between the neck and arm?
- Is the lap belt as low as possible, touching the thighs?
- Can the child stay seated like this for the whole trip?
If you answered "no" to any of these questions, your child still needs a booster seat. Your child will be more comfortable, too! Children should remain in a booster until this test can be passed. This may be 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 or even 13!